Thursday, September 4, 2008

Is Doing the Right Thing, Always the Right Thing to Do?

A couple of weeks ago, I turned in my two week resignation to my ex-employer. The EX didn't do anything wrong. In fact, this was a wonderful 'dream' job and I would have probably never left it had I not received my calling. I decided with the demanding work load at this job and my impending class load from seminary, that it would be best if I resigned and picked up a more flexible job somewhere else.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the realities of the business world, but let me vent a bit. It is very rare, first of all, for someone to actually turn in a two weeks notice. Most people simply resign effective immediately. Further, most employers find its usually best for the immediate termination. Even though it would be nice to have the two weeks for training and cleaning up the soon to be ex-employee's files, etc., when said employee announces their impending departure, moral goes down, work product reduces significantly and quality is less than scant.

When I turned in my two weeks notice, I wanted to do 'the right thing'. I wanted to be respectful and not leave any unfinished business to fall in the lap of any of my co-workers/friends. Not only did I stay positive and come in early for two weeks, but even put in, wait for it, overtime. This is unheard of! But, I really did want to do right by the company as I felt they had treated me well. Needless to say, all of it went unacknowledged.

Prior to my final day, I had requested from HR information on getting Cobra - the insurance supplement. Hubby has medical issues and we simply cannot afford to have a lapse in coverage. This would be catastrophic to us. First, my HR director informed me she knew nothing about Cobra. Then she tells me that my family will be covered for 30 days past my last day. My last day was last Friday.

Over the weekend, my son got sick and we took him in to the Dr. yesterday. When we get there, we are informed that our insurance policy has been CANCELED. Can you believe this? So I have a medically challenged spouse and a sick two year old...and NO insurance. Unbelievable. To top this off, my EX didn't pay me for my last two weeks - it is always direct deposited.

So, I contact my HR director and she tells me that she had cut me off with payroll - thus I didn't get paid. "Oops." She said I could drive the 35 miles to come pick the check up from her though. How kind. Then I ask her about the insurance and she proceeds to tell me how much my family cost the company every month and that she turned paperwork in back on the 15th of August to have me dropped from the policy by the first.

Needless to say, I'm really frustrated and more so simply let down. You know, I went above and beyond for my EX. I was salaried and never told of the enormous work load prior to my hiring. I worked 70+ hr weeks on a small salary and was never acknowledged for all the unpaid overtime. The health insurance was a part of my benefits package - which I convinced myself made up for the lack of salary compensation. Then, I not only turn in a two week notice, but I actually stay the full two weeks and work overtime up until my very last day.

I don't understand why when I try to do the right thing, do right by people, that I always end up with the short end. I did this for MR, I did this for my EX...the list goes on and on. I'm so frustrated about this. So many people told me that I would be treated poorly once I turned in the resignation. They told me it would be in my best interest to just quit and leave. I didn't want to do that to my EX or co-workers. I wasn't selfish and I was thinking of them first. Now this???????? It's obvious that the consideration didn't go two ways and now my family is suffering.

So I ask you...Is doing the right thing always the right thing to do?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails