Friday, September 12, 2008

R.E.S.P.E.C.T the Communication!

Upon the first day of my Introduction to Ministry course, my new professor handed out a sheet on respectful communication guidelines. As I read over it, I realized just how profound this little bit of writing really was. Recently, I've been faced with some rather unusual encounters of communication. What I mean, is that I've been faced with conflict that I have not experienced before and I've thought a lot about how much easier things could be if everyone just knew how to properly communicate. Anyway, reading this came at just the right time. Maybe this is one of those "God things". I had been praying for weeks that I could just get some kind of validation that I wasn't from another planet for thinking that people should know how and choose to act maturely during a disagreement. Like I said, when I read this, I could have just screamed, "YES!!!! THANK YOU!!! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT". What do you think about this?

RESPECTFUL COMMUNICATION GUIDELINE
By Eric H.F. Law

R = take RESPONSIBILITY for what you say and feel without blaming others
E = use EMPATHETIC listening
S = be SENSITIVE to differences in communication styles
P = PONDER on what you hear and feel before you speak
E = EXAMINE your own assumptions and perceptions
C = keep CONFIDENTIALITY
T = TRUST ambiguity because we are NOT here to debate who is right or wrong

Maybe if we all take a clue from this, we won't have so many "failures to communicate."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails