A great girlfriend of mine is a health expert and personal trainer. She sent the following to me in a recent email. I found it very helpful for the upcoming holiday's and hope that you do too!
The average American consumes thousands of calories at a traditional holiday dinner. This year, avoid the fa-la-la-la-fallout with these healthy Thanksgiving and Christmas recipe tips from our nutritionist, Stephanie Green, R.D.
- Appetizers: Plain Mountain High is just as thick and creamy as sour cream and tastes the same. It's also a great replacement for half or more of the mayo called for in dips, salads, and dressings.
- Soups: Nothing says comfort like warm, velvety soup, but heavy cream layers on fat and more. Use Plain Mountain High instead to add body and creaminess while cutting fat, calories, and cholesterol.
- Mashed Potatoes: Everyone loves the creamy richness of sour cream mashed potatoes, but Plain Original Style Mountain High offers the same flavor and creaminess and cuts fat by 80% and cholesterol by 66%. Lowfat or Fat Free Mountain High reduces them even more.
- Sweet Potatoes: Candied yams or sweet potatoes sprout up on holiday buffet tables like mushrooms after a rain, but they're marshmallowy calorie traps. Try whipped Heavenly Sweet Potatoes made with Plain Mountain High Yoghurt and skip the butter and marshmallows.
- Green Bean Casserole: Green Bean Casserole is a perennial favorite, but canned soup concentrate adds unnecessary sodium and fat. Our Green Bean Casserole solves the problem with yoghurt and seasonings for a great new dish.
- Pumpkin and Other Pies: Whipped cream sure does please, but it does waistlines and arteries no good. A dollop of Vanilla Mountain High is a better garnish. It's lower in fat and adds beneficial probiotic cultures to support your digestive health.
- Desserts like Pumpkin Bars: To reduce oil or shortening in recipes, replace three parts with Mountain High Yoghurt. If a cake recipe calls for 1 cup of oil, for example, use ¼ cup of oil and 3/4 cup of yoghurt. Use Plain for savory recipes, Vanilla for sweets.
Check out more about Mountain High Yoghurt products. Thanksgiving and Christmas & New Year's recipe menus are available on the Mountain High web site for more great ideas and traditional recipe makeovers!