Thursday, December 3, 2009

Santa Baby


My Favorite Christmas Memory

It was Christmas 2006 and my family had traveled to South Dakota to celebrate the holiday with family there. Growing up, we would alternate the host of Christmas Eve between my parents, my grandparents and my aunt & uncle's house. This year was grandma's year to host. Little did I know then, it would be grandma's last year to host Christmas.

This was an extra special Christmas for me. You see, for several years I had asked Santa, more like God, for a baby. Every where I turned I ran into fertility Scrooge's who said it would never happen for us. But this year, my arms were filled with the best Christmas present ever...my son.

Hambone was almost six months old that Christmas. My favorite holiday, which I never thought could get better than it already was, became so much sweeter. My heart overflowed with joy, abundance and love as I watched my grandmother hold my son to take photos. Ham was wearing an adorable Santa outfit and grandma couldn't get enough of him.

Looking back now, I thank God for that Christmas. I thank God for the hope of Jesus, for the love of good people and for the giggles of new babies. I thank God for that last Christmas at grandma's home and that she got to know my child. I thank God for last year's Christmas, my first turn at hosting, my first and last opportunity to serve grandma a meal on her own china. I have missed her every second since she left in March, but memories like these keep her alive in my heart and I just can't wait to see her again. That's the hope, the love, the promise of Christmas.

Baby Ham, My Sweet Grandma, and me - Christmas 2006

Grandma and Hubs - Grandma made the ceramic Santa for Hubs - Christmas 2006

Christmas 2008 - Our last Christmas with Grandma. She had given me her china and I was so honored to serve her this meal on her dishes.


post signature



Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Andrea said...

AMEN! What a beautiful post. I am sitting here with my eyes filled with tears.
Yes, we have hope!
Blessings and prayers, andrea

Heather Nicole said...

How sweet to be able to cherish such beautiful memories! Grandmas make Christmas the very best :)

Lynette Jacobs said...

Beautiful post and wonderful memories.

Toknowhim said...

That truly is a great memory... Everyone looks so happy, and your Ham is adorable :) Thanks for sharing :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails