Friday, November 13, 2009

Hambone Hilarity


My Hambone is one of the funniest people I know. Maybe its his innocence. Maybe its his simplicity. Maybe it's heritage. No matter the reason, he's quite the 'Ham'.

Probably like most of you, our home has been battling sickness as of late. We all first did the tantalizing swine flu tango...yes, the piggy flu. Just when I thought things we're getting back to life as healthy, hubs comes down with the seasonal flu and bronchitis. Ham and I have sinus infections. Fun! Why I'm telling you this is because Hambone's quote of the week stemmed off of his doctor's appointment yesterday.

Hubs took Ham to the front desk and got him all signed in. Ham proceeds to take the receipt/check in sheet from Hubs and says, "look daddy, this says (Hambone 'Smith'), HUMAN." It was so important for Ham to proclaim that he was indeed human. In fact, when the doctor came into the exam room and said hello, Ham proceeded to say, "Hi. I'm Hambone Smith and I'm a human." Poor Hubs had no way to control his laughing. I keep smiling just thinking about this and that the doctor also broke out into laughter.

It was later last evening when I got to thinking about Ham and how maybe there was something to be learned here. I mean, wouldn't it be nice if all we had to do when filling out a form was write our name? I'm Freddae', child of God, HUMAN. Not, I'm Freddae', white, middle-class, a little fluffy, blonde hair, coffee addict, female, my ss # is... We try so hard to distinguish ourselves in ways that are better and different from others. We strive to prove we have value based on our labels. I wonder what the world would be like if we stripped away all of the cultural labels and we are able to just be ourselves. I love being married to my husband, but sometimes I'd like to be just Freddae', not Hubs wife or Mrs. Hubs. Other times, I don't mind that. I love being a mom, but I am many things besides just a mom. Can't I just be me and can't the world put forth a little effort to get to know me without the labels? Honestly, I think the labels are tools of laziness. If we label people, we don't have to get to know them. We can just assume we know them based on what their jar says. It removes the community element of humanity. This is why so much miscommunication exists. We ASSUME we already know who the other person is, what their thinking, how they act, etc. That's my two cents for the day.

Today I am Freddae'...HUMAN.

post signature



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails