Wednesday, December 23, 2009

'Rent-A-Womb'



As a woman who has and does face infertility, I've researched numerous "solutions" and tried several treatments.  That being said, I found the following article very interesting and I'm intrigued to hear your opinions.  What do you think...if funds were not an option, would you take advantage of this opportunity?  Or, would you choose to put your money towards adoption?  

 'Rent-A-Womb' Business Booming in India by Fox News
Couples desperate for children are turning to India, where relaxed laws on surrogacy means the business of babies is booming.
In India, a womb can be rented for about $3,000 and in vitro fertilization treatment is a fraction of what it costs in the west.
"My criteria is very strict," Dr. Anup Gupta told Sky News. "The surrogate must be healthy and she must already have a family with at least one or two children of her own, minimum. She must not be doing this primarily for financial reasons but because she wants to help another family."
Gupta says he gets about 15 patients from abroad every month looking for a surrogate.
Most of the time he uses eggs and sperm harvested from the couple and then implants the embryo into the surrogate mother.
In return, the couple pays all of her medical expenses in addition to other lump sums.
By the time a baby is born, the woman who has effectively ‘rented’ out her womb stands to make around $7,000.

For the full story, go to:  http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580956,00.html


post signature


Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've recently offered my womb to a friend.

I dont think this is a bad thing, per say, but I would go with adoption myself. There are so many children in the U.S. and abroad that need families and homes. I'd start there.

http://carrigansjoy.blogspot.com/

Shell said...

That's interesting. Is it much different in the US, aside from it being cheaper there? I don't know-I've seen ads for making money by being a surrogate here.

Freddae' said...

I'm not opposed to it and I've known of several people who have done and/or plan to do it. I guess I was just taken aback by why the article made such a 'big deal' of it. I thought it was kinda silly really that it was made out to be this taboo thing.
I think I would personally adopt because there are so many children who are in need of loving homes. But I understand the feelings of wanting to have your own child.

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Intriguing ... I think there are a lot of well-meaning people on both sides, and the best one can do individually is to talk to God about what He is calling you to do.

Thank you for making me think.

Blessings, Freddae!

Lindsay Rudolph said...

That is really interesting. If women can help other women become mothers, it can't be a bad thing. It should be affordable for all women to have a baby; whether you are carrying it or someone else is.

Related Posts with Thumbnails